Earn 7 loyalty points, worth £0.70, with this purchase.
Harrison's Recovery Formula provides an easily assimilated source of nutrients for sick or injured animals.
- For animals needing an easily assimilated source of nutrients
- Medical and surgical patients that are recovering from pansystemic failure and have progressed to a point where oral, easily digested diets are indicated
- When anorexia has slowed gastrointestinal emptying time. Not for cases of illeus or stasis.
- For debilitated or injured animals use as gavage (tube) mix until they are self-feeding
- As a dietary transition for recovering avian patients that have been on a seed diet and need nutritional support
- For those dedicated to the rehabilitation of orphaned nestlings, Recovery Formula is ideal as a hand-feeding diet from hatching to fledgling of small insectivorous birds with an apparent inability to digest cornstarch.
- Also used as a handfeeding diet for growth from hatching to fledging of small insectivorous birds with an apparent inability to digest cornstarch. Species include bushtits, wrentits, vireos, wrens & smaller flycatchers and warblers.
Caution: The correct feeding technique must be used in order to prevent injury to the animal or inhalation of the formula. Persons not experienced with tube-feeding should defer to a professional. If using a non-metal or flexible tube, be sure that the bird does not damage the tube.
Mix a fresh batch of Recovery for each feeding. Do not reuse, reheat or microwave mixed formula.
- Step 1: Gently feel the crop to determine that it is almost empty before feeding.
- Step 2: Mix fresh: 1 part dry formula to 1-3 parts drinking water heated to around 39°C (103°F). Do not microwave. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Step 3: Feeding with a tube is probably the most universally successful technique. As one faces the bird, position the tube to enter the oral cavity from the left side of the bird’s beak (your right) and direct it over the tongue toward the right side of the bird’s throat. Deposit the food into the bird’s crop.
- Step 4: Feed the bird until the crop is about 3/4 full. Clean the excess formula from the bird’s beak, feathers and enclosure. Repeat as often as needed to maintain or increase the bird’s body weight.
For other animals
- Step 1: Mix fresh: 1 part dry formula to 2-3 parts warmed (around 39°C/103°F) drinking water, or to a desired consistency. Do not microwave. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Step 2: Tube feed or spoon feed warmed formula based on veterinary recommendations.
- Step 3: Repeat feeding as necessary to maintain or increase the animal's body weight. Recovery is a low-fibre diet and is easy to digest, therefore frequent feeding may be necessary.
Composition: Soy protein isolate, Hi-oleic Sunflower oil, Sugar, Vegetable oil.
Nutritional additives per kg: Vitamins: Vitamin A 44092 IU, Vitamin B1 26783 IU, Vitamin B2 23800 IU, Vitamin D3 2756 IU, Vitamin E 992 IU, Vitamin B12 400mcg. Trace elements: Zinc Sulphate 132.5mg, Manganese Sulphate 44.1mg, Copper Sulphate 1.6mg.