Bird Bread Mix - Original
Earn 11 loyalty points, worth £1.10, with this purchase.
A baking mix, based on Harrison's Bird Foods, which enables owners to bake their bird a healthy, organic, treat.
Available as a 255g bag.
- Provides a healthy alternative for bird owners who choose to prepare their own bird food or those who give regular treats to their birds
- Can be offered instead of table food to birds that like to eat at family mealtimes
- Can be used to assist in converting birds to a formulated diet
- Can be hidden as a foraging reward
- Can be used as a vehicle for administering liquid medications, or encouraging the bird to eat fruit or vegetables as the fruit/vegetables can be baked into the bread
- Provides an easy-to-use transition for hospitalized or boarding birds until acceptance of the appropriate formulated diet
- Can be moistened and offered to birds that are feeding chicks as a soft food
- Can be used as a weaning food to transition to a formulated diet
Read the story of Mango and Melon, two Kakarikis who love Bird Bread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Combine entire bag of mix with 2 whole organic eggs - no shell (remove yolk for less fat), 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) high quality organic vegetable oil or Palmgloss, and 1 cup (235 ml) water.
- Fill greased bread pan or muffin tins and bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Do not bake in nonstick (PTFE-coated) cookware, as the fumes are toxic to birds.
- May make up to 30% of the daily diet.
- If prepared with the addition of fruits, vegetables or nuts, Bird Bread should be considered a “treat” and fed only in limited quantities (no more than 10% of the daily food allotment when combined with all other treats).
- Can be served warm.
- Some flavorings (vanilla, maple) or herbs can be added as long as they do not change the nutritional content.
STORAGE & SHELF LIFE
Because Bird Bread Mix contains no preservatives, some care is recommended for storage.
- If the bag is opened, the top can be zipped closed or rolled down and closed with a chip clip for 4-6 weeks
- Bird Bread can be stored for 1 week in the refrigerator and 6 weeks in the freezer after baking
- Baked Bird Bread can be divided into portions, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed back in the original Harrison’s Bird Foods bag for storage in the freezer
- Bird Bread should not be reheated in a plastic container.
Composition: *Hulled Grey Millet, *Corn, *Hull-less Barley, *Sweetcorn, *Toasted Soybeans, *Sunflower Kernels, *Peanut Kernels, *Lentils, *Peas, *Toasted Oat Groats, Calcium Carbonate, *Brown Rice, Baking Powder, *Alfalfa, *Psyllium, Bentonite, *Sea Kelp, Salt, *Algae Meal, *Sunflower Oil.
* = CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT
Nutritional additives per kg: Vitamins: Vit A 1323 IU, Vit B1 803 IU, Vit B2 716 IU, Vit D3 83 IU, Vit E 30 IU, Vit B12 12mcg. Trace elements: Zinc Sulphate 6.6mg, Manganese Sulphate 2.2mg, Copper Sulphate 0.8mg.