Bird Bread Mix - Omega
Available as a 323g bag.
The Harrison’s Omega Bird Bread offers a unique blend of both Omega-3 and Omega-6 oils naturally supplied by a range of organically certified premium ingredients. These oils are essential for the wellbeing of healthy pets and increased levels play a key role in the recovery of ill or injured birds. Because Omega oils cannot be manufactured by the body they need to be supplied in the diet. The majority of seeds are generally both limited and unbalanced in the amounts of Omegas they provide with individual seed types high in one and lacking in the other. Omega Bird Bread provides both increased levels and redresses the balance providing high levels of both Omega-3 and Omega-6 (the essential building blocks of healthy cells and membranes). It can therefore play a key role in helping address the Omega levels required by birds.
- Provides a healthy alternative for bird owners who choose to prepare their own bird food or those who give regular treats to their birds
- A premium bird bread mix for birds requiring additional essential fatty acids
- Can be offered instead of table food to birds that like to eat at family mealtimes
- Can be used to assist in converting birds to a formulated diet
- Can be hidden as a foraging reward
- Can be used as a vehicle for administering liquid medications, or encouraging the bird to eat fruit or vegetables as the fruit/vegetables can be baked into the bread
- Provides an easy-to-use transition for hospitalized or boarding birds until acceptance of the appropriate formulated diet
- Can be moistened and offered to birds that are feeding chicks as a soft food
- Can be used as a weaning food to transition to a formulated diet
Read the story of Mango and Melon, two Kakarikis who love Bird Bread.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Combine entire bag of mix with 2 whole organic eggs - no shell (remove yolk for less fat), 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) high quality organic vegetable oil or Palmgloss, and 1 cup (235 ml) water.
- Fill greased bread pan or muffin tins and bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Do not bake in nonstick (PTFE-coated) cookware, as the fumes are toxic to birds.
Dough Ball Directions (no baking required)
- Combine entire bag with 15ml organic palm fruit oil (sustainable) or coconut oil and 120ml drinking water. (no eggs)
- Mix thoroughly and roll into 2-2.5cm dough balls
- Quick freeze any unused in first feeding. Store frozen dough balls in original Harrison’s bag. Thaw for daily feeding
- May make up to 30% of the daily diet.
- If prepared with the addition of fruits, vegetables or nuts, Bird Bread should be considered a “treat” and fed only in limited quantities (no more than 10% of the daily food allotment when combined with all other treats).
- Can be served warm.
- Some flavorings (vanilla, maple) or herbs can be added as long as they do not change the nutritional content.
STORAGE & SHELF LIFE
Because Bird Bread Mix contains no preservatives, some care is recommended for storage.
- If the bag is opened, the top can be zipped closed or rolled down and closed with a chip clip for 4-6 weeks
- Bird Bread can be stored for 1 week in the refrigerator and 6 weeks in the freezer after baking
- Baked Bird Bread can be divided into portions, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed back in the original Harrison’s Bird Foods bag for storage in the freezer
- Bird Bread should not be reheated in a plastic container.
Composition: *Flax, *Corn, *Quinoa, *Grey Millet, *Chia, *Hull-less Barley, *Toasted Soybeans, *Peas,*Lentils, *Peanut Kernels, *Sunflower Kernels, Calcium Carbonate, Baking Powder, *Toasted Oat Groats, *Brown Rice, *Alfalfa, *Psyllium, Bentonite, *Sea Kelp, Salt, *Algae Meal, *Sunflower Oil
* = CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT
Nutritional additives per kg: Vitamins: Vit A 1323 IU, Vit B1 803 IU, Vit B2 716 IU, Vit D3 83 IU, Vit E 30 IU, Vit B12 12mcg. Trace elements: Zinc Sulphate 6.6mg, Manganese Sulphate 2.2mg, Copper Sulphate 0.8mg