A baking mix, based on Harrison's Bird Foods, which enables owners to bake their bird a healthy, organic, treat.
• Provides a healthy alternative for bird owners who choose to prepare their own bird food or those who give regular treats to their birds
• Can be offered instead of table food to birds that like to eat at family mealtimes
• Can be used to assist in converting birds to a formulated diet
• Can be hidden as a foraging reward
• Can be used as a vehicle for administering liquid medications, or encouraging the bird to eat fruit or vegetables as the fruit/vegetables can be baked into the bread
• Provides an easy-to-use transition for hospitalized or boarding birds until acceptance of the appropriate formulated diet
• Can be moistened and offered to birds that are feeding chicks as a soft food
• Can be used as a weaning food to transition to a formulated diet
Read the story of Mango and Melon, two Kakarikis who love Bird Bread.
• Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
• Combine entire bag of mix with 2 whole organic eggs - no shell (remove yolk for less fat), 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) high quality organic vegetable oil or Palmgloss, and 1 cup (235 ml) water.
• Fill greased bread pan or muffin tins and bake for 25-35 minutes.
• Do not bake in nonstick (PTFE-coated) cookware, as the fumes are toxic to birds.
• May make up to 30% of the daily diet.
• If prepared with the addition of fruits, vegetables or nuts, Bird Bread should be considered a “treat” and fed only in limited quantities (no more than 10% of the daily food allotment when combined with all other treats).
• Can be served warm.
• Some flavorings (vanilla, maple) or herbs can be added as long as they do not change the nutritional content.
Storage & Shelf Life
Because Bird Bread Mix contains no preservatives, some care is recommended for storage.
• If the bag is opened, the top can be zipped closed or rolled down and closed with a chip clip for 4-6 weeks.
• Bird Bread can be stored for 1 week in the refrigerator and 6 months in the freezer after baking.
• Baked Bird Bread can be divided into portions, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed back in the original Harrison’s Bird Foods bag for storage in the freezer.
• Bird Bread should not be reheated in a plastic container.
Composition: *Hulled Grey Millet, *Corn, *Hull-less Barley, *Sweetcorn, *Toasted Soybeans, *Lentils, *Peas, *Peanut Kernels, *Sunflower Kernels, *Chili (Cayenne) Pepper, *Toasted Oat Groats, Calcium Carbonate, *Brown Rice, Baking Powder, *Alfalfa, *Psyllium, Bentonite, *Sea Kelp, Salt, *Algae Meal, *Sunflower Oil.
* = CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT
Nutritional additives per kg: Vitamins: Vit A 1323 IU, Vit B1 803 IU, Vit B2 716 IU, Vit D3 83 IU, Vit E 30 IU, Vit B12 12mcg. Trace elements: Zinc Sulphate 6.6mg, Manganese Sulphate 2.2mg, Copper Sulphate 0.8mg, Sodium Selenite 0.05mg.
Analytical constituents: Crude protein (min.) 14%, crude fat (min.) 9%, crude fiber (max.) 5%, moisture (max.) 10%.